View Single Post
Old 01-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi myersg,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here. I will be very honest with you and tell you that this information is seldom given to a patient by their dentist and it is a bit alarming. But you have the right to be properly informed and that is why I am here.

When an infected tooth is not extracted, the bacteria that resides inside of the tooth proliferates (travels) through the tooth into the bone and causes a series of infections along the way. Root canal therapy is done in an attempt to "retain" an "unhealthy" tooth for an undetermined amount of time. The procedure is not capable or intended to "cure" the infection simply because the bacteria that resides inside of the tiny microscopic canals cannot be removed. Therefore the tooth remains infected irrelevant of how many times the rc procedure is done or how many teeth in a row are root canaled.

Your situation of having several infected teeth in a row after having rc in one of them is typical, acceptable (in conventional dental practices) and "commonly seen" in dentistry. Conventional dentists will just keep root canaling one tooth after the other and then in a short period of time will suggest to re treat them (this will not alter the bacterial status) or extract them.

Some of the problems with "retaining" infected teeth are:

1) The infection has the potential to become systemic as it filters through your blood stream. The more chronic it is, the more likely to spread. The infection has the potential to spread to your sinuses, your major organs, your bones, your brain, etc.
2) The bone surrounding the infected teeth will deteriorate and become necrotic resulting in permanent bone loss.
3) Replacement of extracted teeth that were chronically infected is very difficult if not impossible due to the extent of the bacteria and bone loss.

The boils you keep geeting are called Fistulas and they indicated the infection has spread to the jaw bone.

Unfortunately, the only possible cure lies in removing all of the infected teeth. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it is a fact and one that your dentist should have shared with you before he did the first root canal.

For more information, you could google... Dr Mercola root canaled teeth... Dr George Meinig root canal cover up.

I'm sorry to be the one telling you this. I know it's scary... but it is your overall health and not just your teeth that are at stake and you should have been informed of this before now. I urge you to speak to your dentist about the options you have regarding the removal of these teeth and replacing them. I wish you well.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersg View Post
Back in Jan. of last year I had a root canal done on the tooth behind one of my front ones. I kept getting gum boils afterwards and the dentist just gave me more antibiotics, and said if it continued to come back in a few months. It finally became very painful and I had to go back. They said The tooth in front of the one they did the root canal on, was also infected (the front tooth) and needed a root canal. I did the root canal in oct. and the gum has not gone down all the way (has continued to be swollen, not as bad as before the second root canal) This week though it has really gotten swollen, and a gum boil is starting to form like before. It is once again starting to become painful.

Am I right to think this should not still be happening? after two root canals?

I am asking what could still be causing this, should I still trust the dentist? and any advice on what should be done.

Thanks!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote