View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default synthroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
As you may have read my previous posts, I am on Gabapentin and Synthroid.

I had my follow-up consultation today with the neurologist who did the skin biopsy. I did not want to expect too much today but you must understand that in my heart, I was hoping that he would say something encouraging or worth pursuing.

Well, it was a let down, he just emphasized the negative result of my skin biopsy and he did not want to pursue any further tests. He said that whether my result was normal or abnormal, I will still hve to treat my symptoms.

He gave me another medicine - Nortriptyline. I know this is an anti-depressant medicine. This is supposed to be taken as complementary to the Gabapentin.

I am so hesitant to take this combination because of adverse side-effects. As it is, Gabapentine alone makes me so drowsy and sleepy. To add Nortriptyline will maybe makes me a zombie .

To add to all this, I have my unstable thyroid function. My last thyroid result was normal after 6 months of being low, but even then, the normal was still "below normal" level. And I read that Nortriptyline may result to exogenous thyroid.

I am stressed because I found out today that the Gabapentin and the Synthroid
I am taking all this time are with Gluten. I have been on gluten-free diet for a month now and yet all this time, I am ingesting gluten!!!

Does anyone have (had) a good experience with the combination of Gabapentin and Nortriptyline? Or is it better to be taken only either one of them. I was given with the lowest dosage for Nortriptyline. Doctor said that if the combination works, we will slowly taper down the Gabapentin.

Will appreciate your inputs.
Ok, need to know if you are taking the generic form of Synthroid? there is a big difference between the generic and the name brand, cost difference is that great. Generic has more side effects, and does not work as well, or come in as many strengths as the name brand. I'm Hypo Thyroid. And had been under treated for years. SEE an ENDO not your PCP for treatment. Your Thyroid is the master gland in your body and controls all other glands.

Had to get off mine for 2 weeks for a ENT test, and the joint and muscle pain was out the roof in 2 days.

As to the Gabapentin or lyrica about the same drug, I react badly to them. Could be some genetic to as my elder son has the same reactions for his PN.
Libby100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (01-20-2014)