View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
The system isn't set up for success, or to better your circumstances. Ginnie

The system is set up to give the people in the most desperate situations some help until they can better their circumstances.

People with over $2000 in assets may feel desperate, but they are not as desperate as the folks with nothing. The system is only designed to help those who are the most desperate, those with (almost) nothing. It is to help one find basic medical care, some form of shelter, and food........not to live in the style that one desires to become accustomed to. It's not the governments job to help one better their circumstances. That's up to the individual.

Money doesn't grow on trees. The money for SSI and Medicaid has to come from somewhere......it comes from other people's taxes. I'd prefer not to have to pay $100/month for Medicare, $100/month for a supplement plan, approx. $100/month for doctor copays, $200/month for pain meds, $100/month for other meds. That's $600/month in medical expenses that I'd love to have in my pocket. If I got to keep that, I'd be able to afford massages that help so much with my neck......or some help around the house. If I had Medicaid, I could save all that money. The problem is those things just wouldn't be "free".......everyone in this country who pays more taxes would have to pay even more, they'd be paying that $600 for me. It's not unreasonable for them to not want to pay that for me if I already have over $2000 in the bank.

It's up to each individual to find success in life. Some are lucky enough to get some help along the way possibly from their parents or maybe federal financial aid to get through college. I think it's wrong to EXPECT someone else to pay your way to financial success. Personal accountability is important.

Because totally disabled people don't have the same opportunities to work better/harder/more to improve their financial situation, I hope that no one here takes my words as a critique that we should get off the couch/out of the bed to work more. We can't, but more able bodied people on Medicaid may be able to. The system was designed with the expectation that those people WILL work more to become more successful and get OFF Medicaid. Those of us who are totally disabled will normally not be able to improve our situation in that manner. That stinks, but is due to our disabilities......and not the government's fault.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (01-20-2014)