View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissiffer4 View Post
Hi,

I have been in considerable pain for the past couple of weeks with left radiculopathy. My doctor sent me for an MRI and I got the results back today. I am Male, 37 and with a couple of young kids absolutely terrified about the prospect of surgery . Currently, the pain is severe through my left shoulder and left arm and I have had pins and needles in my left index and middle finger for the past week.

Any feedback really would be much appreciated, because I am really scared about this:

C2-3: Negative

C3-4: Negative

C4-5: Negative

C5-6: Posterior osteophyte disc complex is demonstrated. Mild central stenosis is noted. Severe bilateral foraminal narrowing is present, greater on the left.

C6-7: Spondylitic changes are present. Posterior osteophyte-disc complex is noted. A left paramedian disc protrustion is present.

C7:T1: Negative

IMPRESSION:

1. Spondylitic change at C5-6. Mild central stenosis is noted. Severe bilateral foraminal narrowing is present.

2. Posterior osteophyte disc complex at C6-7 with small left paramedian protrusion noted.

Thanks everyone. I am going with the assumption that surgery is going to be necessary, but is it as scary as I imagine it to be and might these problems be resolved with it?

Cheers
Hello and I am sorry you are in pain!

I can give you advice based on my personal experience with "severe bilateral foraminal stenosis" which will cause radicular pain in the shoulders and arms due to the pressure on the nerves passing through that space. I had it at C3/4 and C6/7 bilaterally and severe like yours. I consulted with 4 Neurosurgeons 3 wanted to fuse me at both levels but being that I am only 45 and spend my life mountaineering and skiing I wasn't comfortable with that after talking to many people and doing research on my own. What I learned was that if you fuse the levels below will deteriorate much more quickly and it will limit your range of motion permanently. So I went back to my physiatrist and got a name of a 4th NS who was highly rated and recommended by several other doctors. She was quite adamant that fusing now given my activity level, age etc., that I would be happier with what is called a 'foraminotomy and laminectomy'. This would not impair my ROM nor would it cause the lower levels to degenerate like with fusion. Basically they go in through the back side of the neck and drill the bone back open so that the nerves are no longer being compressed. It is a more invasive procedure and more painful (from what my doctor said) but is much better in the long run if it works. When I say 'if it works' .. She (my NS) explained to me that usually if it fails it is within the first year and then the only option is the fusion. I was ecstatic to say the least and went for it. Mine was 100% successful and I'm doing great 1 year and 4 months later. I didn't think the surgery was that bad but.. I had gone through 9 major surgeries just before that because my injury was caused by a head on collision where multiple body parts were affected so in comparison it was a piece of cake. All of my symptoms were immediately gone and the only regret I had was that in staging surgeries that this wasn't done sooner. In addition to arm symtoms I had headaches everyday and it was hard to turn my neck to the side.. haven't had a headache from neck pain since the day I went in to surgery - Praise God!!

My NS is in Seattle if you want her contact information please email me or PM me through this board. I learned that many doctors won't do this surgery as it seems they all want to fuse as fusion is easier for them but worse for us.. sad... so you might have to seek out several opinions if that is something you consider.

The good news based on your MRI is that you only have one level to deal with.. that is good!! Be good to your neck and to your body!! A physiatrist (a good one) is worth more than gold!!
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote