View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlerae View Post
Thank you for the opinions and support! I am trying three more sympathetic blocks and seeing other pain management doctors to get there opinion as well. I am just worried about what they can do if I am in remission, and have a relapse due to swelling in my ankle during pregnancy, are any of the typical treatments even an option then? Can they do surgery or blocks during the 9 months and what drugs are possible safe? I am very moody on other pain medications, and felt like oxycodone was likely to be very addictive. I am myself personality wise, with the diludid and don't feel a high. It also lasts longer. I have never had a problem stopping it in the past, but it still worries me. They upped my Lyrica to the highest possible dose of 600mg, and it does seem to help, but does not sound safe for pregnancy. I keep seeing posts about Vitamin C, but none of my doctors have recommended that to me. What and how does that help? How long does it take to recover from SCS surgery? I am 5 foot 5, and about 130 lbs. I don't think there is much room for a stimulator any where except my abdomen, where have most women have them placed? So many questions....sorry. Also curious about how much of the SCS was covered by most peoples insurance. If it costs $100,000, will I owe 20% on most insurance plans. I will not be able to pay $20,000 out of pocket. Again thank you! I can't believe I did not find this site earlier, such a wealth of knowledge.
Hi mlerae! Sorry you are having to deal with this mess I cannot answer any of the pregnancy questions since I haven't had kids. I can answer SCS questions though. As far as cost goes, not sure what type of health insurance you have but if this a covered procedure, by a covered doctor, your co-insurance would be based on the approved amounts, not the billed amounts. In other words, they may bill the insurance company $52,000 for the equipment, but the insurance company might only approve $21,000. If you have 20% co-insurance for equipment, it would be 20% of the $21,000. Do you have co-insurance for surgery or do you have a co-pay for that? When I had the trial, I had to pay co-insurance for the equipment (approx $1,200) plus the facility and doctor co-pay. When it got to my implant surgery, I did not have to pay anything since I met my out-of-pocket max for the year. The insurance company was billed approx $97,000 and they approved approx $55,000 ($21,000 of that was equipment).

You need to find out your surgical co-pays, co-insurance percentages, out-of-pocket maximums and if you will have to spend the night. My doctor had my spend the night with the implant and revision, but he did it as a 23-hour observation so it would not be considered inpatient.

I had two SCS's implanted (cervical & thoracic) in June 2011, revision on the thoracic one in November 2011. Had everything removed less than two weeks ago. Originally they had placed the battery packs in each butt/hip area. I was having trouble with the thoracic leads migrating that that battery hurting. They moved that battery to my front side, near my ribcage, and put in a paddle lead. The new paddle lead migrated and that battery (front) was twisted and hurting. I had some other issues with them and ended up not being able to use them any longer. I do not regret getting them because they helped me so much in the beginning...they allowed me to be able to get thru another year and a half of work.

I would definitely advise you to get a second opinion. Your doctor sounds like he is pushing this to help himself, not you. I did not experience that feeling with my dr. With your brother-in-law formerly selling these and advising you not to get it...well, I would think that means something there. You should get that second opinion and ask lots of questions, and of course have a trial done if that is the route you choose. Also, I would think placing the battery in the abdomen would be a problem should you get pregnant. As your belly grows, it will move and be pushed against the surface of your skin. Wouldn't think that would be too comfortable.

Wishing you the best,
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brambledog (01-21-2014)