View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've had 2 children, thankfully before my CRPS...so I can only speak in terms of how I think the CRPS might affect things.

Like catra, I've read that the pregnancy hormones can actually help with the CRPS, but that afterwards it might go back to the original volume, so to speak. Your intake of meds might be problematic, depending on what you take at the moment, and you might have to reduce or stop some of them. A member called Allanira recently went through this and posted some really useful info during her pregnancy.

I think much of it depends on where and how you are affected by CRPS. Small babies don't sleep much, and being sleep-deprived is pretty tough even when you're healthy! When they are tiny, changing and feeding isn't too physical, but as they grow you do need to be able to carry them, and there is always a lot of bending down and lifting... toddlers weigh a fair bit! Even getting a baby dressed and into the carseat can be hard work at times. Household chores increase and definitely seemed much tougher for me with a little one. I was pretty energetic back then, and the smallest things can make me exhausted now. The 1-3 yr old phase was hardest physically as you can't yet really get them to understand a lot, and they can be frustrated by their own limitations. Physically that can be hard on our body if you need to restrain them for their safety (ie crossing the road) or deal with a tantrum.

I'm not trying to put you off! Children are amazing things, and I don't regret anything, but it's good to be realistic about the tough parts. I'm sure there are ways around a lot of them, with imagination, cooperation of friends and family, and planning. It's just the great unknown of how bad your CRPS can be, and whether you can deal with still having to do all the daily stuff of caring for a child while going through that. It's always going to be a very personal decision, and I really hope that you can find a way through it to a happy conclusion.

Sorry you're having such a bad flare, and I hope things settle soon. Congratulations on your marriage!

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote