View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissiffer4 View Post
Well, thanks guys for responding I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon on Thursday, so fingers crossed! Did either of you give steroid shots and PT a go? I am rather hoping that trying that will take care of the problem.

To be honest, I am petrified of surgery! Zookester, after reading your report I am certainly in two minds. The neuro surgeon I am going to see is apparently one of the best here in Lincoln, Nebraska and on the conservative site. I will ask him about the long term risks of fusion.

Dubious, you said that fusion surgery worked out ok for you? Can I ask how scary it is to go under for surgery and how long does it take afterwards for the pain to dissipate? I am hoping to not lose any time off work. I would at a desk (which is probably why I am in this mess to begin with!).

Admittedly, on my course of Hydrocodone, the pain is a little more manageable now, but I do still have the weakness in my left arm and the numbness in my middle and index finger in my left hand.

Cheers all
Yes, I highly recommend 'transforaminal injection' and at least it was my understanding that they actually do these injections for two reasons. One to help you get relief from the pain but most importantly to determine if surgery would likely be a success. What I mean by that is if they inject the steroid at the foraminal opening at the damaged level and you get relief then it confirms that is what is causing your symptoms and that surgery is likely to be successful. I also highly recommend massage therapy and PT/Chiro (as long as the Chiro has all chartnotes and MRI/Xray reports) because the muscles along your neck and shoulder will invariably be tightened and need to be released or relaxed so that this isn't worsening your symptoms. This is especially true if you sit at a desk like you mentioned. I would also recommend checking the ergonomics of your desk, keyboard and monitor height and using a proper headset if you are on the phone often. Sometimes just adjusting the monitor height can do wonders for relieving pain in the neck and numbness in the arms or at the very least keep the pain symptoms from returning after you finally get relief. All to often people seek help of PT/Chiro/Massage etc., and get relief and then spend hours on the couch watcing TV with poor posture or return to work and do the same only to undue what was just done and then wonder why they aren't improving. I ended up getting a sit/stand desk for work and changed my TV and sitting arrangement in our home to prevent as best I could any additional strain I was inadvertently placing on my neck.

If you do go to PT be sure to be diligent about doing the home routine if they give you one.. it takes commitment but, is well worth it if you can get away from the pain instead of living with lifelong neck/back problems. Which is all to common.

I also recommend what is called a "tiger tail" which you can get from amazon or REI they make it really easy to relax tight muscles throughout the body.

Lastly.. yes it is always better not to undergo surgery but, once the nerves are causing symptoms and the opening are closed enough to cause the radiologist to comment that it is "severe foraminal stenosis" then most likely the least aggressive surgical fix is warranted. When I say least aggressive that is the foraminotomy not fusion. The surgery for the foraminotomy is more invasive but, less aggressive if that makes sense.

Here is a link to more information about a foraminotomy and the amazing surgeon that performed my surgery. http://seattleneuro.com/patient-educ...-foraminotomy/

I hope that helps,
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote