View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrouley1 View Post
as a rule, if i don't take a sleeping pill (amitriptyline) i am up all night. it's very strange because i have always been a sleeper. i can fall asleep (and have plenty of times) at a rock concert!!!!!!
Ang, Um... are you saying that you take it some nights and not others?! I just wanted to clarify, because, as it is an antidepressant you shouldn't be going on it, off it, on it, off it, and so on for any period of time.

Amitriptyline has to be taken on a regular basis... I know about this specific one because I am on it. One night I was unable to take it (flu) and I had a horrible night of withdrawal- really jittery, heart racing, etc...

What dose are you at? Over a period of time my doctor has worked me up on a higher dose, and it was helping me for a short period of time. I am hoping that with an increased dose it will help me.

Quote:
Depression is associated with an increased risk of suicidal thoughts, self-harm, and suicide. You should be aware that this medicine may not start to make you feel better for at least two to four weeks. However, it is important that you keep taking it in order for it to work properly and for you to feel better. If you feel your depression has got worse, or if you have any distressing thoughts or feelings, particularly about suicide or harming yourself in these first few weeks, or indeed at any point during treatment or after stopping treatment, then it is very important to talk to your doctor.
(I know that this is mentioning it in the use of depression, but it is a general rule that antidepressants should not be taken "as needed" and you have to regularly take them)
Quote:
You should not suddenly stop taking this medicine, as this can cause withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, headache, giddiness, chills, insomnia, restlessness or anxiety. Withdrawal symptoms are temporary and are not due to addiction or dependence on the medicine. They can usually be avoided by stopping the medicine gradually, usually over a period of weeks or months, depending on your individual situation. Follow the instructions given by your doctor when it is time to stop treatment with this medicine.
(from: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000107.html)

Heather, amitriptyline is an option for your daughter, as it is often used for youngsters (my dr thought it was a safe option for me, and I am nearly 17). It is an antidepressant and used for the side effect of sleep.

The good thing about amitriptyline is that it has pain relieving qualities.

It is used for insomnia:
Quote:
For ongoing treatment of primary insomnia, the effective dosage will usually be about 10-25mg per day, taken at bedtime. This drug should be effective for treating your insomnia within a couple days of use, if it will help at all. Some people with insomnia find that this medication either does not work, or significantly affects them the next day.
(please see: http://www.toddlertime.com/med/elavil.htm)

How is she doing today? I hope well. Did you get the PM I sent you?
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote