View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Tongue

I'm sorry that didn't get you anywhere and that you are still frustrated and in pain. I'm not surprised that you are having mood swings with all you described, both from a stress perspective and an ongoing pain and probably brain injury perspective, given that you had a mass. I wonder if anyone has suggested neuro psych testing. Several studies have linked mood swings to changes in working memory and processing speed. I play Luminosity to "train my brain" (and track changes too) and noticed a definite decrease in my problem solving ability (mostly math calculations) and processing when I was over draining. I was also ALOT more emotionally reactive and withdrawn, which is really not me. When it was really bad, I had difficulty understanding what people were saying and finding the right words for what I wanted to say. It was quite a humbling experience , given that (if you haven't already figured it out) I'm kind of a know it all

Given your medical history, the problems you are experiencing may not be detectable with scans or an EEG because it may be related to how your brain receives and processes information. Perhaps an fMRI or PET scan might give you more data but those are only being used in research. I had the basic testing, i.e WISC III or IQ test, when I was around 9 and again at 14 and it has been extremely valuable to help me understand how I think and why I'm better at some things and not so go at other so that I can either communicate that to people or figure out a solution that allows me to use my strengths, i.e. I can't listen and take notes so I use my people skills to ask someone for a copy of there notes and most people are happy to share.

Although I haven't been retested as an adult, I continue to have the same cognitive strengths and weakness so because I had the testing as a kid, I know what to look for to figure out what is "normal" for me and what is off, so Luminosity works just fine for that.

I will keep you in my thoughts!
MegAlfOCon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jroones (01-24-2014)