View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirky View Post
The sensations I am now having in my feet are new. It's as if they always feel cold. The same sensation I felt after I was exposed to the cold earlier in the New a Year while standing outside to long with not enough socks on for the extreme conditions.

I am wondering if this will regress once I return to CA where I work? If I am in a warm climate? Could this flare just calm down totally? I guess only time will tell?

Or is this feeling normal for my condition? How does one learn to accept this feeling and adjust to it? That's what's on my mind all the time right now.
My feet and calves are always cold to the touch whether it is warm/hot weather or cold weather. The only time they are warm to the touch is when I get out of bed. In the night from time to time they shall we say flare. That is the nerves. Socks at night in bed are not for me. I tried it several times and no thanks.

Wearing long underwear in the winter helps but the feet and calves are still cold to the touch. But I wear it regardless in the winter. It gets terribly cold where I am.

This is just all part of CMT. Also, I can feel everything. My legs and feet are not numb. Some CMTers legs and/or feet are. My feet are very sensitive. I cannot walk on non carpeted floors only a few steps. It is like walking on bones or broken dishes. I also wear slippers regardless if it's on a hard floor or carpeted. And that is only til I can get my shoes and socks on.

As I said, my feet and calves are cold to the touch regardless if it's warm/hot weather or cold weather. Having trouble with cold is probably due to the loss of muscle mass in the feet and legs. Decreased muscle mass decreases the amount of blood that goes to the lower limbs. Circulating blood is what keeps the normal temperature in tissues.

On the other hand, hot or burning feet is a sign of axonal neuropathy (loss of wiring of the nerves). Pain due to nerve damage in CMT does respond to Neurontin (gabapentin) which is an anticonvulsant.

I do not take anything at the present time however I know that I certainly could. In saying that though, I do use Advil. I do have a high tolerance for pain but some days really get to me. My Mother took way to many medications which were prescribed for her by a doctor who really didn't know CMT. She was way over medicated which is something I learned thru my years and years of reputable research and going to my support group meetings. Medications that are on the medical alert list now. There wasn't such a list then. Those medications only came to light in the later years of her life. The damage was done. That is probably why I am very hesitant when it comes to taking anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."

Last edited by Kitt; 01-24-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (01-24-2014)