Thread: 5 year old
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi,
I just wanted to say welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups.

My children are adults now and thankfully there are more resources available these days and there is better information. Generally you'll find that doctors and others are more knowledgeable.

My suggestion would be that if he is diagnosed with TS and the doctor offers medications immediately then I would be very wary. I'd learn as much as I could about Tourette's Syndrome remembering that it's different for everyone.

If you can, start a private diary where you can just jot down anything that is of concern to you before you actually go to the doctors. e.g. has he been sick with anything prior to the onset of tics, or has he had a tic for a little while and suddenly there are more, the fact that his nephew has what appear to be tics.

I'd make as little fuss as possible about his doctors visits and his tics. Children who are that age often worry very much about what's going on.

You mention that your nephew has tics. Has he been diagnosed with TS?

I'm hoping some of the other mums who have little children will stop by and offer you some advice as well. Please let us know how you get on with the doctor. Just remember that hugs and reassurance go a long long way and the less stress and worry in the environment the better.

Letter to Parents of Children Newly Diagnosed from TSplus

Overview of Tourette's Syndrome from TS plus

Common Tics of Tourette's Syndrom from TSplus
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote