View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi anntay,

Thanks for the update

I'm a bit confused as to what the oral surgeon meant with his comments especially since he put you on the augmentin. Did he mean that there is an infection and it looks "typical" meaning "the findings are usual for this type of infection"? Did he mean he is clueless as to what the swelling is from and prescribed the rx because ..... why?

Infections vary in their species of bacteria. The only way to know what the specific species is you would have to have a culture and biopsy taken of the bone. Augmentin is a broad spectrum antibiotic that kills a variety of bacterias that are found in commonly occurring infections. So this is often the drug of choice when the bacteria has not been "pathologically" identified. But in dentistry it is generally prescribed ONLY when an infection is suspected.

As far as infection is concerned, it is truly irrelevant whether or not an antibiotic was taken for the root canal procedure or not. The drug will not "kill" the majority of the bacteria that resides inside of the tooth both pre and post op the procedure. The drug is given to temporarily subside the inflammation more so than kill the bacteria. People are often under the impression that the antibiotic and the rc procedure are enough to make the tooth well again. Unfortunately, that is just not the case.

I do hope you get some relief and the swelling subsides. It is best to follow up with the OS and then have this area monitored with one periapical x-ray at your cleaning appointments to catch the first sign if something more is brewing.

Keep us posted.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by anntay21 View Post
Hi Bryanna - Yes, I saw the oral surgeon today. He took xrays and then a full jaw xray -- said he didn't see anything 'out of the ordinary' or scary -(his words) but he has put me on augmentin and I go back in 2 weeks. We shall see, I guess!

My only concern is that I was on antibiotics when I did the initial root canal. (and a subsequent ear infection - not related to this issue) so wouldn't those antibiotics have cleared it up?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote