View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Infection after Wisdom Tooth Extraction

I had my top and bottom left side wisdom teeth extracted at the end of November 2013 and was taking Clindamycin 150mg/4x a day. I felt as though the bottom never healed correctly as there was always a salty (I thought it was blood) taste in my mouth and sensitivity around the site. I returned to the dentist the first week of January and it was determined I did have an infection which they irrigated and prescribed Clindamycin 300mg/4x a day for. I went back after a week only to have the debridment procedure performed and more Clindamycin 300's prescribed. It has now been an additional 3 weeks, and the hole from the debridment procedure is still visible and quite "raw" with more foul tasting/smelling discharge. Here is a health history to better understand why I am concerned;

As a child I had scarlet fever multiple times (and yes, I am being serious. True diagnoses that baffled my small town doctors 3 summers in a row) and I've been told I should have been taking antibiotics prior to the procedure due to a higher risk of infection since I have had that illness before..not sure if this is true or relevant

I am allergic to Penicllin and it's family of antibiotics and I am wondering if Clindamycin is not strong enough to fight this infection.

I am currently breastfeeding so I am unable to go under IV sedation or take a stronger dose of antibiotics. I am considering weaning asap however if they need to do the debridment procedure again as I can not mentally be aware again for that (I was only under LA for the extraction in the first place) because now I am terrified of the pain and dentist.

Should I be concerned about such a persistant infection? Should I be seeking a second opinion from a different dentist/oral surgeon? Please offer any advice possible. I have heard horror stories of infections..
ParsonsP0403 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote