Thread: Newly diagnosed
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Kristin! Welcome to NeuroTalk, you will find great support and info here. So sorry you are dealing with this. I have had RSD/CRPS for 23 years. It is in my face, hands, feet, shoulder, trunk area, left arm and left leg...it is spreading to a few other areas now. Symptoms can vary from one person to the next. Symptoms tend to change over time also, I know mine have. I do not have as much discoloration as some people do.

Not sure if you have been there yet, but there is great info at rsds.org and rsdhope.org. And there are stickies at the top of this forum.

1-burning pain is the most common symptom, but it doesn't always have to burn. My pain is burning most of the time, but sometimes it is not, it will be sharp, stabbing, electric-shock like too.

2-I don't know what to say about the pain levels. Mine are always pretty high. Not all parts are at a level 10, some are. My lowest level has been a 7, but my hands might be higher. It varies. I always thought when it is new it is really bad.

3-Any activity aggravates my affected areas. I finally had to give up working a little more than a year ago. The temperature in my hands and feet vary, but are mostly hot.

4-Again, everyone is different. Since you are newly diagnosed, symptoms could get worse. Best chance of remission is treatment within the first year. Warm on your RSD/CRPS areas is ok, but never, ever use ice. Ice is the worst thing for RSD/CRPS, so is contrast baths. Ice can cause spread.

5-Insomnia is definitely common in RSD/CRPS sufferers. I struggle with it every single night. My pain is usually worse at night too and laying down is so uncomfortable.

6-YES!! It certainly is helpful to talk to a psychologist or therapist! I have and it is very helpful. Especially if they have experience in helping chronic pain patients. If you are in the process of getting an SCS, have they sent you for a neuropsyc evaluation yet? It is usually part of the insurance approval process. I ended up having to see the one who did my eval a few times.

So, you are in the process of getting approved for an SCS? I would recommend getting a second opinion and exhausting all other treatment options (sorry the block made things worse). And to confirm you have CRPS (if you have any doubt). I had two SCS's implanted in June 2011 (cervical & thoracic). Had a revision on the thoracic one in November 2011. They switched out the percutaneous leads for paddle leads and moved the battery. If you are getting a thoracic/lumbar SCS, talk to your dr about getting paddle leads. They are usually more secure and less likely to migrate...percutaneous leads always seem to move, so if you can avoid a revision, that would be great. I just had both SCS's removed two weeks ago. I had some issues with them increasing pain in my back and the thoracic lead migrated and the battery was twisted and hurting. Neurosurgeon did not want to revise, he recommended removal and I agreed. They were fantastic for a couple of years.

Hopefully others will come along and provide you with more info too.

I wish you the best!
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote