View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Prednisone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needananswer View Post
Hi Mark - The steroid sparing immunosuppressants, in the opinion of my dr, are typically considered safer than long term, high does steroids for a variety of reasons.
One reason to consider: Since the Pred will replace the body's natural production of cortisol your adrenal glands can become "lazy" after long term use.
We often pickup prescriptions at Walgreen's and CVS pharmacies in our taxicabs and deliver them to various rest homes around the South Bay. This gave me the opportunity to speak to several different pharmacists in the past two day. All said the same. Prednisone is the least invasive of the others mentioned. They said that this is the reason that the doctors start with it.

I looked at the side effects of the others options you mentioned, and they did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

I am very happy to learning about the consequences of the long-term Prednisone use that you mentioned in your post. I get the felling that I will not have much of a choice, unless there is a compelling reason to stop Prednisone. I am glade to know about these consequences, so that I can take preventive measure to mitigate the effects right from he start. I've only been on it for about 10 days.

I wonder if you can take it for awhile, and then stop or taper off for a period, and see if continual use is necessary. In December the Mestinon appeared to be enough. Is it possible to take it only when one needs it for symptoms? I am most concerned by the brittle bones and the lazy immune system.

-Mark-
Panorama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote