View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 09:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Several things that concern me:

1. Sleeping pills. Ambien has recently added a specific warning against using it with MG. It can suppress respiration and kill you. I had personal experience with ambien. I was using it before my diagnosis and before the new warning. I went absolutely crazy. I had memory loss. I had weird, illogical behavior. I was diagnosed with "dissociative disorder" because I obviously had two separate people hanging out in my brain and they failed to communicate with each other. Bat sh** crazy. I was most likely dying of oxygen depravation. I quit taking the drug and I am much better.

2. Prednisone. If you have only been taking it short term, you can quit taking it without withdrawals. If you have taken it long term, it is not so simple. The drug is not psychologically addicting, but it suppresses your own production of similar stuff, (cortisol, adrenocorticotropic hormone, aldosterone) and you have to have that stuff to live. So after taking prednisone for several months, you have to wean off of it over a period of several months.

I am a veterinarian, and we give prednisone on an every other day basis to dogs because it greatly decreases the side effects and physiological addiction issues.

The kicker with this drug is that physical addiction without any psychological addiction is very dangerous. Your brain doesn't care whether you take it but your body really, really does.

(I know it sound confusing that I said earlier that I am a college teacher, and I am also a veterinarian. I am both.)