View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylanka View Post
On that basis we should be able to make an informed answer to the question: Should we start this form of exercise today?

high-intensity exercise training designed to simultaneously challenge strength, power, endurance, balance, and mobility function

It is the high intensity bit that gets me. If you are currently unable to walk much or have significant mobility problems this programme is not likely to be talking to you. My challenges are getting highly fatigued with any kind of activity, and there is dispute over the cause, which could be PD or other deficiency. At the moment the other is winning for the culprit prize, and I guess that many PwP have co-existing conditions. We know that exercise is good, we are not neccessarily sedentary people by nature, I know I personally loved walking being outdoors, and being active and am unable to do much now.

While studies with high intensity exercise continue to gain attention as preventing deterioration in the still mobile and active,the rest of us are left in limbo with no programmes that offer real help. Graded programmes that offer intensive exercise according to ability would address this. i.e. what is intensive for you may be impossible for me, but I am still worth the rehabilitation effort otherwise my care costs will spiral astronomically while me condition continues to deteriorate. So please give me some kind of programme that will help me help myself without exhausting me to the point that it may take days to recover or possibly never. (I am joking with the last, but tbh an hour on some of the programmes I have seen would probably finish me off.)
all i can say is everyone with pd may benefit, even advanced pd'ers, if treatments for less advanced pd'er are found that lets them work longer and/or save money by taking fewer drugs. my hypothesis is it frees up more funds for us advanced pd'ers. only a theory. same for a "cure" or progression slowing treatment that only works up to stage 3 pd, it frees up funds and manpower for other research? dunno.
but i'd be very happy if biomarkers were found that could predict pd way before visible symptoms so neuroprotective treatments could be tested, i wouldn't benefit directly but indirectly, i think so.
not pushing this but there is some research on power assisted bicycles that can at least force your legs to spin faster and at least in the U.S. there are exercise programs for more advanced pd'ers.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote