View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 07:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Introducing Myself

Hi. I was hit by a falling metal object 6 months ago at work. I work in an office, so it was a freak accident. I also have cochlear implants, and was hit directly on top of the magnet which connects the external processor to the part that is implanted beneath the skin. I had tinnitus and a headache, but went about my day, and even went to work the next day. It wasn't until two days after the accident that I woke up with severe symptoms, including nausea, dry heaves, headache, inability to stay on my feet, eat, concentrate, etc.

Several times I thought I was getting better, but that never lasted more than a couple of days. It really feels as though I have made no progress beyond a few weeks post injury. I am mostly home bound. Social events, driving, noise, stores, being on my feet for too long, concentration, lifting things, bending over, looking up, exerting myself and lifting more than about 10 lbs all exacerbate the condition. I had to have my cochlear implant levels turned way down due to noise sensitivity and now am not hearing well.

I have also lived with Meniere's disease for 20 years, which has similar symptoms to PCS, dizziness, tinnitus, fatigue, and it also caused me to lose my hearing in my 20's. Despite this I have always worked hard and tried to live as normal a life as possible. The PCS has pushed me over the edge and I am not currently able to function in life or at work. I become so tired during the day and especially in the early evening. Like most PCS sufferers I have better days and worse days, often in clusters.

I had a cat scan which was normal. I'm not able to have MRIs due to the implants.

I have a two year old daughter and it is very difficult to take care of her, but I do a lot for her around the house and I wonder if that is slowing my recovery. My husband has stepped up and does all the shopping and driving, and more things around the house than before.

I am worried about my future and my ability to work a regular full time job, and to give my daughter everything she needs.

I don't have a specific question, but any advice, personal stories, or words of encouragement would be appreciated! Thanks.
roralea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote