View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 01:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
The usual statements about "nothing offers protection" needs to be qualified a bit. It should be said that "nothing has been shown to protect". Since it might take decades to show the latter to the satisfication of the powers that be, don't hold your breath.

IMHO one should look at the processes involved and tackle them. Oxidation. Neuroinflammation. Mitochondrial problems and so on. Make choices and take actions with this kind of info to guide you.

There is one drug in particular that the MS community has been testing and that you may be aware of - Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) seems very promising. Our own RLSmith has been taking it for ten years or more and seems to be doing very well.
Hi Doydie!
Yep, it's RLSmi. Rev said that I have been on LDN, but i've actually been taking low-dose dextromethorphan (LDDM) Both drugs are in a class called morphinans. I got the idea of using dextromethorphan from reading the research work out of J.S.Hong's lab group when he was at the National Institute of Environmental Health in Research Triangle, NC. All of his work was preclinical, animal studies, but he demonstrated that several morphinans, as well as at least one endorphin have powerful anti-infllammatory activity in mouse brain tissue studies at extremely low (femto-molar) concentrations. This group also conducted experiments using animal models of Parkinson's Disease demonstrating protection by DM from development of Parkinson's-like symptoms and loss of dopamine-producing cells in these animals.
Hong has since published numerous studies describing the powerful anti-inflammatory effects in the critical brain areas known to be damaged by inflammation by certain cells called glial cells.
Rather than continuing this technical rant, I will just say that my major motive for using DM instead of naltrexone was to avoid having to get a prescription, since DM is available over-the-counter in cough syrup. If you want more details regarding the history of my use of DM as a possible progression-slowing drug, I suggest doing a search of my postings on this forum going back the last ten years.
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote