Thread: Low-grade fever
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

HRT, or hormone replacement therapy is very expensive. It's also very complex and I wouldn't recommend anyone try it without the supervision or recommendation of an MD because taking hormones you don't actually need can be harmful.

I did have trouble with my emotions before I started taking the hormones. It was not normal for me. I saw a therapist who helped me through the process.

Many experts postulate and speculate that many cases of PCS are actually hormonal imbalances within the brain that were caused by the in jury to the head/brain because the pituitary is located in a vulnerable position inside the skull.

But as I said, most of these cases resolve themselves within the first year after a concussion and Dr.'s are advised not to supplement hormones until after that point, if treating a head injury, because it could be harmful to the patient.

There is one case of someone's pituitary gland completely stopped working altogether after a concussion and he received HRT for five years and then his pituitary gland started working again. The treating physician's opinion was that they should have waited for those many years before giving HRT which I think is barbaric - one never knows if the pituitary will work again and life is pure hell without any hormones. I was debilitated and very disabled in many ways without them. And I still have some!

Get some insurance and see an endo. Figuring out you have a serious hormone imbalance is too expensive to treat ($1000's per month) if you can't even afford health insurance.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote