View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi modernblitz,

Here is a link about use of the neti pot..... FYI..
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=15170230

First let me say...... unless this surgeon is fresh out of dental school and has had limited surgical experience, he has surelyseen this type of infection before.

Secondly, you are on a lot of antibiotics and without question need to take a probiotic supplement starting asap.

Thirdly, does the dentist know that you are using the neti pot? Does he know you are putting vicks inside of your nose? The neti pot is useful for keeping the sinuses clear when non bacterial congestion is present. But to use it during a sinus infection where there is an opening into the oral cavity... I don't know if that is a good idea or not. The use of vicks may or may not be a good idea also as it may prevent the sinus perf from closing. But I am not certain of that..... it's best to ask the surgeon.

The sinus is obviously draining but at the same time it is important to not allow bacteria to get up inside of that hole as it will travel into the sinus. I believe it is best if the sinus drain from your nose and not the extraction site so you don't want to do anything that prevents the sinus perf from healing closed.

Please ask about the use of the neti pot and the vicks to be sure.

Please keep us posted.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblitz View Post
Thanks for your reply Bryana.

I went in today for a appointment. I told the surgeon everything that was happening, and he checked out the socket. He said he didn't see anything in my mouth nor has he ever heard anything like this. I suggested that I have a sinus infection. I explained to him how i have had several sinus infections, and none of them have smelled like this or came out of a tooth socket hole. At this point he got agitated with me and told the nurse to do some type of scan on my mouth.

I did a scan with the dental tech. When the doctor returned he acted really surprised to find that I was right. He wanted to look at the socket right away again. He seemed really concerned all the sudden. The whole right side of my sinuses were blocked on the scan, nothing on the left side. I asked how it was possible this was coming out of my socket. He explained that the hole is so close to the nasal cavity and there's so much fluid in my cavity that it must have leaked through the socket hole. This sounds like a perforated hole from nasal cavity to socket. He didn't act like it was a big deal at all, should I be worried? He prescribed me Augmentin 500-125 1 tab, 3 times a day. I thought it was kind of odd that he would prescribe me the Augmentin because I just completed a week dosage of Amox and it didn't really do anything. So I'm taking that and Clindamycin 150mg 2 caplets 4 times.

The infection continues to come out of my nose and smells ungodly. (Think cat pee, poop, salt, and rotted flesh all combined) I have been using my Netipot in the morning and at night. The infection comes pouring out, its gross. To help get rid of the smell i put vix in my nose while I'm at work. I continually chew gum. I figured this would help exercise my jaw while getting rid of the smell.

I have another appointment on Friday. Hopefully I can report progress at the upcoming appointment.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote