View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Well, okay, at least I have my answer to the Restless Leg thing. I clicked on the restleg leg link and I read all about it. The following paragraph is from that site:

"Chronic diseases such as kidney failure, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and peripheral neuropathy are associated with RLS. Treating the underlying condition often provides relief from RLS symptoms"

I then went inside to Alan and said "Alan, do your legs ever feel like you have insects crawling on them, or feelings of discomfort that you feel you have to move or shake them in any way". His response was: "of couse not, it's my toes that kill me, not my legs".

I then made absolutely sure so I read him the thing about restless leg syndrome and he said quite distinctly "Melody, the problem is not in my legs, my legs have never given me a problem, it's in my toes, that's why I'm moving my feet when I lay down".

And because his Chiropractic/neurologist said his PN comes from the pinching of the nerves in his back, well, now I'm totally confused. I'd like to believe that all he has is PN. he really doesn't need to find out something else is wrong with him. I made sure he understood what the restless leg symptoms were and he said to me "never in any part of leg, just my toes". I do see where they can be so similar though.

How on earth can you differentiate between PN and Restless leg when (on the restless leg site), it mentions that you can have the feeling in your feet? And Alan's feet only kill him at night when the barometer changes drastically, (like it did the other night).

So how does one make the definite diagnosis?

I just told Alan tomorrow he's eating almonds and he said "Oh no I'm not, I have diverticulosis and I can't eat almonds". I then said "okay, we'll buy you a magnesium supplement" and he goes "I'm not taking anything unless Dr. Fred says it's okay!!!

So tomorrow I call Dr. Fred...................and believe me, if this guy wakes me up during the night, he's going to be one dead person, that's all I can say, neuropathy or no neuropathy!!!!!

Well,

love ya,
melody

P.S. Oh, guess what I did today for the first time in over 45 years?. I RAN TO CATCH A BUS. I actually ran somwhere. I'm 59 in two months, I have degernative joint disease, two bummed out knees etc. etc, but since I lost all the weight, I can walk much better. So I was at the supermarket and I see the bus two blocks away. I had to walk one big block to make it to the next bus stop. So I decided to run. I figured I might need to get a stress test someday so what better way to stress my heart than to give it a good run.
And boy did I run. I made it to the bus stop. Was I breathing hard? Of course, I'm almost 59 years old. Lasted all of one minute. Sat down on the bus and was just fine. My knees croaked but my heart was just fine.
Then when I got home, I went out for another walk.

So the day they put me on a treadmill for a stress test, I guess I'll pass. I take Doppler tests every year of my carotids and they are alway fine.
My health HMO won't pay for a stress test and I can't afford the $1500 so I guess I'll just keep walking until I drop. Lost another 5 lbs so I'm good to go!!
Not bad for an old hag!!!!!!

Last edited by MelodyL; 09-21-2006 at 08:09 PM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote