Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 05:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk Introduction

HI all, I found you a while a go but haven't introdced myself before. So here goes. Where to start? On Nov. 2 2012 I was working as a school and student support worker in an elementary school supporting children with disabilities in the classroom. I am also a single mom (for the last ten years) and worked another job often to support my family. I was just finishing my Masters thesis in Arts Education, had been accepted and started a PhD in Expressive Arts Therapy and started and run an organization in the literary arts which is a chartiable organization that I started 12 years ago. I am also a writer. So as you can see I had my hand in many pots with the idea that with each door that opened I would walk through it and take every oppurtunity to advance myself and support my family It wasn't going to be like this forevery.

On November 2 2012 all of this suddenly came to a complete stop when I was helping the child I support on the playground. He was going back and forth on a zip line when he started to lose his balance. Because this child is a known head butter I am always careful where I am around him. All I did was put my hand up to balance him and his head came whipping back and got me just above the temple on the right side of my head. While I didn't pass out I knew immediately I was in trouble. Within 20 minutes, the time it took me to get him inside and myself to the nurses office things were bluury and foggy and I was walking off balance. By the end of the school day (this happened at lunch) I was totally dizzy. By that evening I was slurring my words. By the next day totally nauseas and dizzy sleeping all the time and weepy. Over the next few weeks my speech really started to go. I would start to stutter. I would want to say a word and I could think it, write it, rhyme it but not get it out. There was no consistency to which words. On November 15th I had to defend my Masters thesis. I was able to do this and pass no revisions but the toll it had on me was enormous. I couldn't move for two days and my speech by the next week was non-existent. I ended up in emerg and they did a cat scan which was normal and sent me to a neurologist who spent 20 minutes with me and said I didn't have a concussion and I should be looked into further. What I did discover while with him was that I couldn't move my right hand to the left side of my body. As well when I did walk my left leg was dragging and at times my left arm felt weak. He said I may have conversion syndrome. My doctor felt I had concusion syndrome.
Because this was a WCB claim eventually I was sent to their head injury clinic where they did say I had concoussion syndrome and I was sitll in the accute stage. In Feb I stared in their head injury clinic.

By May I was back at work gradual re-entry but having a very hard time in this very busy environment. I had the summer off to rest. By the fall when I started back to work again I was beginning to start my other lifes work and get back to normal a bit at a time. I went back in the fall on Sept 16th and on Oct 21st on what was to be my first day back at work full time I was hit in the head a second time in the exact same spot by a basketball. I ended up in bed for a week so sick to my stomach and dizzy. I am still off work and all my symptons are worse again. I am back to not being able to be out in public again. My speech totally went and while now it only goes if I am overstimulated I have trouble finding words or replace them. I can't read, remember what I have read or write creatively. This all happened during the first hit as well. I found after the first hit that when I sat down to try to play the piano I couldn't remember anything I knew and couldn't olay with my hands together. Some friends came to get me a few days ago to take me for a visit and we had to take a ferry and I have never been motion sick before in my life but I had to take a gravel when I got home today and just took another one.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to heal after a second concussion. I present really well and yet I find being in public exhasuting and it triggeres so many things such as anxiety which I never had before. . I now have ringing in my head again all the time. Thanks.
bonish is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote