View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 09:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 13 months, joining the forum to seek advice

I fell on an icy surface in Dec. 2012, dusted myself off, and continued on my way to work. It was after the holidays, upon return to work that I experienced headaches, extreme fatigue and dizziness. I have been off work (more or less) since.

The following are some of the major points on the journey. After three months, I tried to return to work for 2 hours a day, but I only lasted 2 weeks until I had a major setback.

In month 8, an occupational therapist started me on attention training. I worked my way up to one hour, three times a week, and then had a major setback in month 10. It was suspended, indefinitely.

Also in month 8, I began seeing a psychologist who has been tremendously helpful in dealing with the challenges of PCS.

In month 12, I saw a behavioural optometrist who prescribed new eyeglasses with a prism in one lens, and vision training to help with tracking.

Also in month 12, I was encouraged to increase physical activity. I returned to swimming, which I love, but it resulted in severe neck pain and I "crashed" the following day. After three times, I stopped. I have been referred to a head-neck-jaw physiotherapist.

I appreciate the generosity of those contributing to this forum, and I have learned a lot. Thanks!

I'll describe my current symptoms and how I cope:
1. Headaches.
I've decreased my cognitive demands to the point where I can avoid headaches most days. Sitting alone in a quiet room for an hour, 5 times a day, seems to work.

2. Cognitive Fatigue
I limit the duration of reading, watching tv, computers, and socializing to short times spans.

3. Sensitivity to Noise
I find environmental filtering very draining. Sometimes I use an earplug in one ear to reduce the load.

4. Vision Problems
I have been prescribed eyeglasses with a prism lens, and I will get them this week. I have also started vision training exercises.

5. Sleep Disruption
I just try to practice good sleep health. I've needed 10 hours of sleep for months.

6. Tinnitus
I just tend to try to ignore it.

As for nutrition, I just started to introduce the vitamins regime from the sticky. I have given up alcohol. And, I am trying to give up my one cup of coffee a day.

I welcome any comments and suggestions from your experiences.
Glacier Guy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote