View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi modernblitz,

If you are in the US, you do not need a referral to see an oral surgeon. You can go to anyone of your choice. If you are concerned about using insurance to pay for the visit, then you have to check if you have an HMO or a PPO plan. The HMO prohibits you from seeing anyone outside of the plan... but with a PPO or Indemnity plan you can go in or out of network.

I'm afraid going to your general dentist would most likely be fruitless. Most GD's are not well informed in diagnosing or treating sinus perf infections like yours.

I am familiar with your type of infection as I have seen it many times. Yes, the odor is quite bad but it will improve as the infection clears up. I just want to warm you about using mouthwash to cover up the odor.... just in case you have been doing that. Most mouthwashes contain harsh chemicals, dyes, alcohol, etc. Not only won't they eliminate the odor, they will prohibit the socket from healing. It is best to use warm salt water rinses and you can add 1-2 drops of pure peppermint oil to the water.... which might help refresh your breath and reduce that nasty taste.

If you feel that this dentist is not taking this seriously.... then please seek another opinion. You would need to bring or have ALL of your x-rays send to the new surgeons office for him to be able to evaluate it properly.

Keep us posted....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblitz View Post
Thanks Bryanna for your guidance.

I talked to the oral surgeon on the phone today and he said it was ok to use the neti pot. It does help, exp. in the morning when the green stuff comes out in chunks. I stopped using the vics in my nose and am just dealing with the smell. It's hard to tell at this point if the antibiotics are working. Yesterday I did not see any infection fluid in the socket, today I saw it. The smelly infection coming out of my nose continues to be there, but I believe it is subsiding. I quit taking my IBU last night and felt tremendous paid in the top left wisdom tooth socket. When I told my surgeon this he kind of chuckled, like I am making everything up, he said, "going full circle". I have another appointment with him on Friday. What is the process to get a second opinion from another oral surgeon? I know these types of things take referrals. Do I need to go back to my dentist?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote