View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Stores

Hi Rose

Both my family doctor and my gastro tested my B12 levels. It was around 1000 back in February (after three fortnightly injections). I wasn't told what the second one was but it was down to 275 by the beginning of May, it took three-four months to drop that far. I don't absorb any B12 because of the Coeliac. One injection of 1000mg of Hydrocobamine wasn't enough to rid me of my symptoms. Both doctors said it would be fine for six months and I was given a form to retest in July. However (and luckily), my family doctor agreed to test me last month and said that it wasn't down to the accepted level of 160 but would give me one injection for the next three months and stop again. I know I had many symptoms well before it ever reached the eventual 140. My folic was down to 9 from 37 in the same time period (originally it was 4.something). I'm presently taking tablets of 10mg per day (prescribed) but I only take 5mg as I feel it's enough.

The accepted level of B12 in the UK and the Netherlands is 160. In the UK I was once tested and it was 265 and I was asked if I drank a lot of alcohol( ) and when I said no it was retested the next month and I was told it was fine.

I am just waiting to see my doctor and have booked an appointment to see the gastro earlier than planned but not until next month. If I don't get any joy I'll take matters into my own hands and may also do as you suggest regardless. Thanks for the advice. All the advice on here has helped me. And also I now remember that it was here that I saw the info on the gluten file and realised that I might have coeliac. My niece has now also been diagnosed with it.

I'll certainly look into your website.

Maria xx
Maria is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote