View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI Matt,
I also wanted to let you know an Epileptologist and a neurologist are a lot different. An Epileptologist specializes in epilepsy and the Dr. knows much more about epilepsy, and how to treat it compared to a neurologist. I saw many different neurologists over the yrs. and they just pushed drugs on me but when I went to an Epilepsy Center where there's a team of Drs. working together, an Epileptologist, neurosurgeon, and neuropsychologist they will do a lot more detailed testing on a person, find the cause of the epilepsy and the type of epilepsy a person has and if the person wants to look into surgery they can have surgery done to stop the epilepsy. I had surgery done twice to reduce my sz. but before that my Epileptologist did a SPECT and PET scan on me, I had a veeg (video e.e.g.) where I was in the hospital and had an e.e.g. around the clock and I was on camera so the Drs. saw the sz. and what was happening along with seeing what was going on with the e.e.g. when I had the sz. and if there was any spikes in the e.e.g. so they could pinpoint the area of my brain that was triggering sz. I also take a lot less sz. meds since seeing an Epileptologist and the Dr. did a DNA test on me to find what sz. med would help the most with the least side effects. Take my word if you can you will be better off seeing an Epileptologist than a neurologist. You can usually find these Drs. at a big hospital and often at a University hospital. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote