View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Parsons,

Is this dentist as oral surgeon or a general dentist? I ask because oral surgeons routinely see various degrees of dental infections. They usually do not mess around with multiple prescriptions of antibiotics since they could just swab the area during the debridement and send it to a pathologist for biopsy and cultures. General dentists tend to treat chronic oral infections with multiple antibiotics and rarely if ever think to take a swab of the bacteria as they are not equipped with the specimen containers or information of a pathologist.

If it is not an oral surgeon, then I suggest you make an appointment with one asap.

There are only so many times that you can safely go back in and debride the socket. This must be done, especially in your case, by an oral surgeon not a general dentist.

In some cases of jaw bone infections, the wound is not sutured closed. It is imperative to NOT eat anything on that side of your mouth. Avoid spicy and citrus foods to avoid irritation of the wound tissue. Avoid seeds, rice, nuts, crusty bread, anything small that could get lodged in there. Eliminate sugar, white flour, simple carbs or reduce your intake drastically or the bacteria in your gut will become un- tameable and you will set yourself up for a severe digestive/intestinal problem. Are you taking a probiotic?

Even with the rinsing there will still be debris collecting in that area. Just try to be very mindful of your eating habits and do not attempt to clean out that socket with anything other than your gentle rinses.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsonsP0403 View Post
Thank you for the response.

I went into the office again last Monday and the dentist packed the wound full of a fibrous clove oil pack. I went back in on Thursday and the surgeon removed the packing, gave me nitrous and LA and performed the debridement procedure again. I was on Zithromax for 5 days.

I am a little concerned with the infection because the surgeon seemed worried. He and his nurse both exclaimed how they have never seen such an aggressive infection inside the socket. He did not suture the wound up this time, hoping it will heal from the inside out. He did tell me to protect this blood clot with my life because the next step if the infection persists, is a biopsy of the tissue and the potential for jaw surgery.

What is the best way to ensure the blood clot stays in place, besides the obvious no touching or vigorous rinsing, small food etc? I'm terrified of this continuing, and having a more invasive procedure done. I've been doing the softest rinse with medicate mouthwash he prescribed to keep the area as germ free as possible.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote