View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 11:49 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaJune View Post
No Ger, sadly, the cancer had progressed. This we knew, but had no clue it was that far gone and her death imminent, and they paid $19,500k up front for this new treatment regime on December 22nd (its not available in the public benefit health scheme) to commence. She had just the one treatment and I'm sad, so sad she had to endure all the toxicity that goes with the treatment in her final days. No one would have opted for that had it been known just how far gone she was. We talked about the treatment and feared it would be harsh. The money is irrelevant in the big scheme of things, just harsh that with payment accepted and the mix prepared it so raised their hopes only to have them shattered within days. A cruel reality sadly so many have to face. Yes, it truly was a shock, even when Brian phoned, I thought he was just going to say hi and pass the phone to Barb. Score once again for the reaper.

Thanks Pam,

That touched "home" a bit for me. I had cancer surgery Sept., 2012. My surgeon had recommended I see an Oncologist and a doctor for Radiation treatment. I had told him I did not want any treatment. (lympnodes were clear; but the tumor that was removed was fairly large). He said he was "okay" with my decision; but first he wanted me to talk to the above doctors and if I still felt the same; at least he felt I was making an informed decision. He said when I came back for my next appointment, he had wanted me to have already seen both doctors.

I did as he suggested and saw both the Oncologist and Radiation doctors as
suggested. I still came up with the same answer; "I did not want to go thru treatment". After I told him this; he said I would have been very very
sick had I had treatment. He wouldn't say this to me prior to my seeing the doctors. He at least felt I was now making an "informed decision" and had not wanted to influence me either way.

I just feel all too often many go thru awful side effects with the hope of being cancer free. Much of their decent time is used up being terribly sick from the treatment.

I read an article a while back that mentioned research done on many cancer patients. There was a large % that thought if they had treatment their cancer would be cured. This article mentioned ...all to often doctors give patients hope and need to be more up front with them giving them a better idea of what lays ahead and how good their chances were at curing their cancer.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (03-04-2014), Hana (02-10-2014), Mark56 (02-09-2014), moosey2me (02-10-2014), PamelaJune (02-03-2014), Rrae (02-05-2014)