View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Young and scared - Autonomic and Peripheral Neuropathy together?

Hi All,

Hoping to get some advice on not just what I'm experiencing, but also how to negotiate the health service (UK) so I can do some investigations without alienating doctors.

I'm a 28 year old male from the UK with a 5 year ish history of health problems. My medical records only state that I have Reactive Hypoglycemia and IBS but day to day I experience so much more than that. I gave up on doctors last year when they only wished to prescribe antidepressants or laxatives.

Since about a year ago my symptoms of neuropathy have been getting progressively worse. For about 3 months last year I had shooting pains in my right ankle that would 'pulse' for about 5 seconds and stop, continuing in waves usually twice a day. Concurrently I was also experiencing further weakness in my arms.

The shooting pains then stopped and general numbness and tingling settled in, and it has been getting worse since.....
  • My legs 'tingle' and I have that water trickling feeling
  • Various parts of my arms and legs will be numb upon waking everyday
  • My fingers cramp up and I've lost dexterity
  • Ice cold to the touch, especially in hands
  • Lost strength in my arms, e.g. carrying bags is much harder or hold my arms above my waist for any length of time unassisted
  • Frequent urination
  • Constipation
  • Constant horrible dizziness, lightheadedness, trouble concentrating and blurry vision

Clearly something serious is up. Because of my doctors reluctance to help me in the past I am reluctant to go back but I can't go on living like this. The constant dizziness is the worst.

Does anyone have any advice for not being fobbed off and what to ask for with regards to testing?

In terms of what the cause could be I suspect it is either related to toxic exposure or blood sugar or both. I'm likely to be laughed out the doctors office if I push the former. I do have blood sugar swings but as yet no diagnosis of diabetes. My fasting blood sugar remains in the normal range. It would seem far fetched to think peripheral neuropathy would occur prior to getting a diagnosis of diabetes although I am certainly at risk due to my hypogylcemia.

Can anyone offer any advice? The rate of progression is really scary and to have not even had a diagnosis at this state troubles me.

Many thanks,
Konzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote