View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello MrsD, thanks for replying!

I'm 36 and have no particular reason to expect early menopause, although I have light periods.

I'm on omeprazole (proton pump inhibitor) and ranitidine (H2 blocker), so those will be reducing my stomach acid.

Reasons why I reckon I should be taking more iron:

* I'm vegan, so I'm getting less of it through my diet.
* I'm about 95% sure I have Restless Leg Syndrome, which is often linked with low iron.
* I get really, really cold. In August I was sitting indoors wearing three layers of winter clothing and my lips went blue. They're often white and have turned blue a few times since then.
* The corners of my mouth get cracked and sore.
* General fatigue issues, although since I have ME/CFS it's hard to tell with that one. Also I've always been pale.
* When doctors test my iron, they tend to mutter that it's just about OK (UK reference ranges, which in my experience are often a joke) but my iron stores are a bit low. Do they actually go on to do anything about that? Nope. This has been a feature for years. Of course, when I was Vitamin D deficient, the GP told me that my blood levels were now back to normal when they were at a level which I recently learned the NHS regards as "insufficient", so I don't have much faith in all of that.
* I tend to get breathless and dizzy
* Ridgy nails

Other supplements that I'm on:

* a good B complex, with folate and high-dose B12 taken separately
* D3 (in useful amounts)
* a multi-mineral complex
* extra magnesium
* Omega 3 oil
* lecithin
* home-made electrolyte drink (water, sodium, potassium), as advised by my doctor

I don't smoke or drink, and I eat a good wholefoods diet.

A few months ago, I accidentally changed from the tablet form of my multi-mineral to the capsule form, and only recently noticed that it doesn't have iron in it. The multi-mineral is tricky, as it tends to make me nauseous, especially if I take it before food rather than straight after.
Batik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote