View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
While I am on a very high dose of Oxycontin (60mgs every 6 hrs); the Percocet for breakthru pain is when I take my Vallium. When I had my spine fusion 8 years ago; while in the hospital, the nurse was giving me the Vallium and Percocet at the same time. I asked her why she was doing these two together. She told me the Percocet works so much better when taking the Vallium together.
As Percocet contains both oxycodone and acetaminophen, it's really like taking three medications together. This is one of the interactions I was thinking of when I wrote...
Quote:
There are many potentiators; aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and caffeine are the common ones combined with pain medications. Other medications can act as potentiators as well, but that's best left between patient and doctor, as potentiators are basically medication interactions.
Any medication interaction site will verify this. In fact, these were two of the medications found in Heath Ledger's system (along with several others).

Medical professionals are in a better position (knowledge, experience) to make medical judgment calls on things like this because they are (or should be) familiar with a patient's medical history, medication tolerance(s), and other factors.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-15-2014), ger715 (02-04-2014)