View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the advice. So does that mean when you wake up from surgery there's not much pain? Is the pain worse after you leave then hospital when you no longer have a ball and pump?

[QUOTE=kimmie66;1048536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidreamer View Post
I'm having a leftcervical and 1st rib resection, anteior and middle scalenectomy and brachial plexus lysis, as well as a bilateral pec minor tenotomy. I'm was somewhat apprehensive about the surgery but everything has fallen into place with the insurance and my job so I'm ready for it and hoping it will give me a better quality of life. I would like to keep you updated about my progress. My wife will be there with me every step of the way and I hope her presence makes things more tolerable. My biggest concerns are post-op pain and I'm dreading wakig up with a foley cathether.

I think we have about everything arranged. Insurance approved, bought tickets, hotel reseravtions, arranged for care of our cats while we are gone. Wondering what to do for food while we are in the hotel after my discharge since we won't have a car. Any suggestions? We are hoping to stay in the BJ Lodge.[/QUOTE}

Good Luck on your surgery!
I had my TOS surgery Nov. 4th and BJH with Dr. Thompson. Still recovering from surgery and doing PT 2 times a week. Still have some pain and swelling. Was told it could take up to a year to be healed. I had the same thing done as you are having. I found that having lots of pillows help! For the first couple weeks home I spent most of my time in our recliner. Had a real hard time getting comfortable and breathing.
My husband and I stayed at the Parkway hotel behind Barnes and there was an applebees on the lower level and a panera bread company across the road that my husband went to a couple times. We also had a small refrigerator in our room that my husband got some sandwiches from a local store.

Plus, don't be alarmed when you wake up and cannot feel your arm. I had someone tell me in advance and I was aware that I was not going to be able to move it or feel it. The pain ball will be distrubting anesthetic for a few days in the area needed.

I would make sure you have shirts that button up and easy to go on. Something that stretches would be good. Plus enough room in the shoulder area for your drain you will have in and will be released with for a few days.

Hope all goes well for you!
intrepidreamer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote