View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 09:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Desensitisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Nick,

It makes sense for the new "cushion" inside of the partial denture to temporarily subside the pain. It is similar to if you had a blister on your foot and you put a bandade over it before you put your shoe on. The blister would feel better for a little while, but eventually it would become sore again. With a blister you can usually cure the problem by wearing a different pair of shoes allowing the blister to heal over time. In the jawbone, the bundles of nerves are covered with bone to prevent them from becoming irritated. If the bone is not present or has been removed during a surgery, then the nerves are only covered by a sheath of fibrous tissue which is not adequate enough to protect the nerve.

I am going to assume that you have had x-rays taken of this area of your mouth both before the extraction and after? Any chance you could obtain them from the dentist and post them here? If they are digital, the dentist can email them to you. It might be helpful for me to see what this looks like radio-graphically.

Bryanna
Hi Bryanna

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don,t have the x rays as was NHS and too long ago ,but I do remember what it looked like after the operation . The mandibular canal came down the Jaw OK but at the site of the operation dipped down a bit , like a small step with the nerve following the same course and continued on as normal. So the damage was like a small kink in the nerves progress through the canal which to me looked like a small fracture or break. There is bone above although a slightly different lighter colour to the exsisting bone.

Hope this makes some sense to you

Regards

Nick
Johnsonsyard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote