View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Trig

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidreamer View Post
I'm having a leftcervical and 1st rib resection, anteior and middle scalenectomy and brachial plexus lysis, as well as a bilateral pec minor tenotomy. I'm was somewhat apprehensive about the surgery but everything has fallen into place with the insurance and my job so I'm ready for it and hoping it will give me a better quality of life. I would like to keep you updated about my progress. My wife will be there with me every step of the way and I hope her presence makes things more tolerable. My biggest concerns are post-op pain and I'm dreading wakig up with a foley cathether.

I think we have about everything arranged. Insurance approved, bought tickets, hotel reseravtions, arranged for care of our cats while we are gone. Wondering what to do for food while we are in the hotel after my discharge since we won't have a car. Any suggestions? We are hoping to stay in the BJ Lodge.

Would it be a good idea to buy some button-down shirts? I don't own any but would think this would be helpful. Also planning on arranging for my own sleeping quarters for several weeks post-op. Any suggestions for sleeping?

Any additional advice would be greatly recommended. Hope to keep you updated.
Everything written is correct. I had on a button down shirt due to the incision around my neck area, and the second incision for the first rib removal. I didn't have a cathether, but I had the drain plug. Yes, yes, yes, the pain is horrible the first two weeks or so. Unfortunately I don't have a recliner, so I had to sleep on a sofa/BED. It was very uncomfortable sleeping in a regular bed. I had the pain pump, but I told them to remove it. It was making me sick. I'm able to deal with pain, so I ask for Tylenol. So this is what I'm taking now with muscle relaxer. I haven't driven for two months. It's hard to drive while on this muscle relaxer, and it's hard to turn because of the removal of my scalene. FYI, when I do go out, I use a sling. I haven't done my PT yet, my doctor is having me to swing my arms back and forth for 30 minutes every day. PT comes next. I will see him for my second 3 months follow-up in March.

I hope this helps.
20YrsTOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote