View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 02:22 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbarnabus View Post
You're lucky you've found something that works for you - is there any reason you can't get a repeat prescription to keep stocked up? Would the doctor rearrange your appointment if you tell them you're running too low? There's also a chance that the medication will still have a positive effect after you run out as it'll still be in your system for a short time
Starting with the last first... Maxalt (rizatriptan) and other triptan abortives have very short half-lives (2-3 hrs), which is why they're taken at short intervals. Not likely to still be around the next day or longer.

When this thread was started (last August) Maxalt was still under patent, and very expensive ($14 to $17 per tablet, and it could take up to 3 tablets to knock out a migraine). Insurance companies put limits on how much they would pay for each month. (I understand BadWolf's plight very well—I was in a nearly identical situation.) If you got more migraines than they decided you were allowed to have, you were out of luck. Doctors can put in requests for overrides on those monthly allotments, but you have to have a doctor willing to go to bat for you, and an insurance company that can see reason (good luck! )

Maxalt has since come off patent, but the price is still high (and allotments low) and likely will be for the next few months at least.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (02-05-2014)