View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation Extreme Cranial Sensitivity (post-trauma)

Hi,

My name is Patrick.

In the past (as a teenager) I sustained lots of head traumas from sports, but I always just walked it off and I never had any post-concussive symptoms.

In January 2013 I was in a car accident overseas - I was thrown full force into the ceiling of a taxi at about 80kmph (ceiling 1 inch from my head) when the taxi hit a large unmarked speed bump.

The doctors overseas never diagnosed it as "concussive", so I returned to Canada and tried to push on (at the time I was in my final semester of my undergraduate studies). As headaches worsened I ended up in a hospital in Canada in April where I was diagnosed with post-concussive syndrome. The out-patient clinic neurologist told me to "push myself" and to take a mild dosage of noretryptylin.

Within a month (May 2013) I was back to normal functioning; in one day I could do 30 minutes of cardio on a stationary bicycle, walk outdoors for an hour, go out with friends, etc. On occasion I bumped my head and this would bring back dizziness, nausea, & headaches for several days. But after the several days elapsed, my problems would clear and I was able to return to normal.

Since late August 2013 I have regressed. I have had a few innocent bumps to my head and after each incident I have plateaued at a lower level of functioning and greater level of cranial sensitivity than before.

In late spring/early summer 2013, when I "pushed myself", I would be able to achieve the same level of activity (or more) the next day. Since late summer 2013, pushing myself only makes things worse and all I can do is rest.

When I walk I feel the impact of my heels against the ground resonating in my head. I now wear basketball sneakers in my house to cushion the impact.

If I "miss a step" on the stairs, it will hurt terribly.

When I am in the car, bumps on the road hurt. Badly.

If I bump my head when I hug someone, the impact will echo throughout my head and hurt for a day and leave me in a worse-off state.

I have had to take a medical leave of absence from my Master's program because I cannot manage the commute (the train's rattling would trigger headaches and the overall academic work-load didn't allow me to cater to my symptoms when they arose due to deadlines).

Luckily I live with my Mom and I can rely on her to help with the mundane things (grocery shopping, house chores, etc.). I simply can't do any of this.

Has anyone been through a similar situation? How have you managed, and how have you gotten over it?

I have been through a gamut of tests with many doctors; Brain & spine MRI shows nothing, bloodwork is normal, etc. One neurologist says it's from the shearing force of the impact, another says I simply have tension headaches. They're guessing.

Are there any other tests I should pursue or diagnoses I should consider?

I go to physiotherapy once a week (he does osteopathic techniques, sacro-cranial therapy, etc.) - I get symptomatic relief in terms of headaches, but I can hardly walk around any better.

I eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean meat. Grain too. My diet is very healthy.

I need to get over this extreme cranial sensitivity. I realize that it will probably just take a long time, but I need to figure out how to best facilitate my recovery. Any help, advice, or discussion of similar situations would be much welcomed.

Warm regards,
Patrick
PatrickC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote