View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the input Mokey and Consider. As you eluded to in your comments, many primary care physicians remain less informed about PCS. Part of the challenge in primary care is trying to stay up to date with a rapidly expanding medical field. I'd have to quit my day job to do that. I spend a good part of my day dealing with chronic diseases (diabetes, heart disease, mental health issues, etc) as do many of my primary care colleagues. It only seems reasonable that one would dedicate more reading time to these areas. As such, family docs likely familiarize themselves with the most likely presentation of head injuries which is the simple concussion. They recognize the symptoms, institute the new recommendations of physical and cognitive rest and most of their patients are better in a few weeks. That would be a reasonable expectation for the average family doc. When it comes to the complex concussion, I think you have to search the MDs who have a special interest in this area because the landscape of mTBI and PCS knowledge is growing rapidly and your average GP and even neurologist may not be up to date. That said, there may be plenty of new theories to explain the symptoms we experience. However we are still far behind in solutions. Many of the recommendations we follow our expert opinions (which doesn't mean they are wrong) but they aren't necessarily based on randomized trials but rather "best evidence to date". And that continues to evolve. If something is working for you, keep with it. Science may catch up with you and confirm that you were doing the right thing after all! MDs also must be mindful of the fact that patients often stumble upon treatments that are later shown to be scientifically sound. Always nice to deal with a doc that listens as well. Because of my personal encounter with PCS, I've done a lot of reading around this area but I certainly wouldn't consider myself an expert. I complain about not being able to strain or lift weights. I get down on myself when I struggle cognitively through a work week after "bumping my head". I am however humbled when I read the many stories in this forum of people struggling to get through a simple day at home. The sharing of stories has opened my eyes to the importance of emotional support we all need. What is worse that a broken brain is a broken spirit as well. Stay as well as you can. Cheers, Canadoc
Canadoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon062314 (05-03-2014), Mokey (02-07-2014), nimrod4u (04-11-2014)