View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 05:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Update

It's been a couple of months and ....

.... further neuro-testing showed advanced carpal tunnel and extensive NP in my hands

BUT

no symptoms of either in the hands. I'll take that.

After putting up with as far as I was concerned very disturbing side effects of Cymbalta, my neurologist kept me at 30mg of Cymbalta, but added Gabapentine. Slowly most of the symptoms of Cymbalta faded away and with great patience, endurance, perseverance I was able to achieve pretty much 1 orgasm per month. Sex was still fine, just most times no end-game.

My neurologist sent me to the local hospital where one of the 3 head doctors is a neurologist who ran all the tests again, including blood work AND ordered a lumbar puncture. THAT was fun. 3 doctors needed 9 attempts and moving one vertebrae up from the normal place to get the juice - lab reports (as usual) nothing out of the ordinary. I was taking 3 x 300mg of Gabapentine, so he said, take it up as high as you want or until you start getting side effects. I took it up to 3 x 400mg and then went back to my normal neurologist.

She told me, that despite all the testing there is no findable cause, so it stays with idiopathic polyneuropathy. She said I should take Gabapentine up to 3 x 500mg and get back to her.

After 2 further weeks, no change - good days (infrequent) almost no symptoms in the feet and energy levels good. Bad days barely tolerable. Really bad days - let me unscrew my feet, leave them here and pick them up tomorrow.

So, now I've quite Cymbalta altogether - no side effects from quitting. and started Efexor ER, first week 1 x 37.5mg and starting next week 1 x 75mg. Plus my Gabapentine. No appreciable change yet, except it's now somewhere between tolerable and good.
musicofnote is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (02-07-2014)