View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 06:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Status Update 1 year post Operation

For those who are still deciding or still have to undergo surgery I am writing this exactly one year after my surgery.
My Spinal Cord herniation was located between T3 and T4. It is very likely that I got this after a nasty fall from a horse because my symptoms started about 5 weeks thereafter. My symptoms at the time were: increasing burning sensation on the right side of my body from approximately bra level to my toes. At the same time it felt numb like after anesthesia at the dentist. I didn't feel for example the difference between cold or warm water or a sharp point or a cotton tip when the poked me in the hospital.
It took almost 1 year before the diagnosis was made and by then my right knee and hip became unstable. Therefore I did'nt want to postpone the operation.
My operation took 8 hours. Apperantly at first the couldn't find the herniation and then it turned out to be a large tear and it was difficult to repare. Meanwhile the signals af the nervers in my left leg where gone for a minute or so. But when I woke up the Professor told me that it was a succes.
Because I had been lying on my ribs for 8 hours they where bruised an this didn't help my initial recovery but after 1 week I was dismissed from the hospital. I could "walk" again with the aid of a walker.
At home I slowly recovered further.
Now one year later: I still have Fysio-training twice a week. I am still getting stronger and more balanced but I haven't fully recoverd. Although my left side was good before the operation it is not so strong and stable anymore. I still have the burning sensation and the numbness on the right side of my body. I can do anything I want now but it takes more energy. When I get up at about 7h I have to lie down for half an hour or so at about 14h because the muscles in my upperback become very tence and they then need to relax. In addition I cannot do as much during a day as I used to because when I get tired I start walking as if I am drunk. Then I quickly lose my balance. Last but not least both my feet are now slightly spastic when I relax. This means that when I am in bed they often contract and then release within a second. This kept me awake for many nights until the doctors gave me some muscle relactants.
All in all I do feel slightly disabled, mainly because I cannot work a full day (I work half days now). But if I had to make the choice again I would definitly have the surgery again. This is much better then the fear of becomming paralized from the arms down.
Final remark: I count myself lucky that my doctors where able to diagnose the spinal cord herniation despite the fact that it is not so well known. Later they told me the where able to do this because another patient they had some years ago was not so lucky. This patient called them after a couple of years from another country and told them docters there had diagnosed him but it was now to late. He is now paralized. Therefore I believe we can also make a difference by telling our story so others may benefit as well.
Nederlandse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dltipton (01-05-2015), ger715 (02-07-2014), PamelaJune (02-09-2014)