View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 06:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile I think so....

Mary,
Yes, I think that our pain tolerance seems less once RSD (or other chronic pain syndromes/diseases/problems for that matter) come into our lives. I think that happens because we are so busy dealing with the pain that we already have, that it doesn't take much to send our pain levels skyrocketing.

Like you, I used to also have a very high pain threshold. Not so much anymore. Or...maybe I do, but it is just already pretty filled up with my "normal" pain.....the pain that I try to ignore each and every minute of each and every day. Of course I don't succeed in ignoring ALL of it (oh how I wish I could!!! LOL), but I am sure that there is some that I do ignore ( I have been scolded by family members...even my own kids...about doing this), in order to get the things done each day that I need to get done.

I think that it takes having a pretty high pain threshold to start with, in order to deal with this (and other chronic pain problems). I think that everyone here has a pretty high pain threshold, rather they used to or not. But, like I have said a couple of times now, that capacity to withstand pain is just about maxed out, and so it doesn't take much at all to bring anyone of us to our knees crying and hollering in pain. I know that is the case for myself. If I so much as stub my toe (and I am NOT talking about any on my "bad" foot here.....I have done that, and the whole scene was just...well....awful to say the least ), it will bring me to my knees crying my eyes out and feeling like the toe was ripped off or something. Sad thing? I have kinda gotten used to that too. Not too long ago, I did injure one of the toes on my good foot, and caused it to bleed (it was an injury involving a toe nail....that almost got detacted....enough said, right? LOL), and I didn't even LOOK at it for a long while, because I just assumed that it felt worse than what it was. That is because it usually DOES feel worse than it is when I hurt something, anything. I got a pretty good surprise on that one.

So, it isn't just you. I think that this happens to lots of us here.

I hope that your day was a better one today, and that your meds worked to dull some of your pain. I can't imagine dealing with that toe injury. I just have this "thing" about feet/toe injuries now.....I am very sympathetic, and have sympathetic feet! ( ROFL..no pun intended, either!!)

Feel better

Jose

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." ~Albus Dumbledore
Joselita is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote