View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Megan

Welcome to the forum, there are some great people here and a lot of support. You're in a good place as far as managing your CRPS.

There's a lot of advice already on these boards if you have a good look around. I can get very wordy in my replies lol, as folk here know but I'm having a bad flare myself and typing isn't good right now. Ah the fun of it! Here's a few bits tho...

Vitamin C 500mg daily to help prevent spread.
Keep moving gently as often as you can, stillness is bad for CRPS.
General strengthening exercise of your core muscles and limbs is important, if you get weak, you become more vulnerable to other things. And CRPS can end up causing several other issues which aren't fun.
Unperfumed Epsom salts either a few tablespoons in a warm bath, or wrapped in a damp cloth directly onto the burning areas can help. We need the magnesium and often don't have enough. Your skin absorbs it well.
Pacing and management are words we hear and dread, but they really do help. Learn to listen to your body, and if it complains a lot after a particular activity, then adjust things next time. You will have new limits on what you can do. Ad for how long. Never stop trying things, but don't push too hard or you pay big time
I find meditation and breathing exercises as effective as some of the pain meds. Give the Mindfulness ones a go (YouTube), or search on iTunes. Breathing exercises help you gain control when the pain is bad or you feel stressed.
Massage can be good too, but make sure you use natural oils and start gently to see how your skin reacts. If you go the whole hog and go for calming music, candles, wine and chocolate too, you can relax a surprising amount!
Relaxation is good - stress is very bad for your body systems, and constant pain is a big cause of stress.
Never ever EVER touch ice now. It can cause permanent tissue damage and spread of the CRPS. It can heighten pain too. Elevation and gentle movement are best for swelling.
Find out as much as you can about CRPS, on good sites like wiki, the NHS site in the uk, and RSDhope in the US. Steer clear of pictures though - they are of extreme cases, and will just scare you.
Be strong with any medics, from doctors to nurses and dentists. No BP readings on the affected limb, no blood tests or needles either. If a doctor doesn't feel right, or makes you feel either responsible for this or like a nuisance, find another. You need good support and a good doc who makes you feel like you matter to them. Meds can help a lot, so it's well worth it. Say how you feel, and say if you have concerns. Don't be afraid to print off info for them and hand it over, asking politely if they would read it. It's always worth educating them

Right, that's my lot for now lol. Take good care of yourself and keep posting on here. Sorry to be brief!!

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lottie (02-08-2014)