View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 07:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSDI approved, "mental eval" kind of a trip

I was so fortunate to get my SSDI claim approved last month.
I had applied with the help of a highly rated SSDI attorney, began the application last *edited* - july - (guess I AM having some memory problems). It was my first application, I really did not expect to get an approval my first time through.

I just submitted my paperwork, and my doctors must have corroborated my reports of pain that affect my ability to function well on a daily basis. I know my physical therapist has been my biggest ally against the pressure my surgeon had been putting me under to return to work. I could not lift even #20 routinely, and as a floor nurse need to be able to lift #50 frequently (and often it turns into over 100 pounds, depending on the size of the patient & how much or little help is available). He was pushing me to "just say you can do it, and go find extra help." This is not ethical - it puts me, the patient and the other staff at risk of injury or further injury. If it weren't for my PT putting pen to paper that I could not do it, and a blanket clearance saying I could lift the weight would be highly inappropriate - I don't know what would have happened to me.

I was sent for a "mental eval" by a psychologist. I had the report forwarded to my provider. We read it together, and it was shocking. He took into account my statements, and his assessment was I was mildly to moderately depressed.

What was surprising; after noting I was 10 minutes late for my appointment, he observed that I had difficulty locating the right building (there were 3 in the parking lot) even after having detailed instructions. He then wrote that while I was in the parking lot and unaware I was being observed that I walked more slowly than is typical, with a slight limp and leaning slightly to the left. Well! Apparently before I arrived to the appointment or after I left, he was spying on me out the window.

My provider and I both dropped our jaws at that. So on top of numerous mental acuity & memory tests, be aware your evaluator may be observing you before or after your appointment.

Last edited by raindrop; 02-08-2014 at 08:07 PM.
raindrop is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (02-09-2014)