View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Differentiating Chronic Migraine from MS lesions on MRI

Hello, I am not (at least not yet) diagnosed with MS. I'm a 25 year old female, and for the past couple of years, I've been receiving treatment for Chronic Migraine and unrelenting muscle spasms in my face, shoulder, arm, neck, and back.

My doctor recently ordered an MRI of my brain because he thought I may have MS due to some other symptoms I was having, but when I went in for my appointment, he couldn't find my MRI report (or possibly hadn't received it yet from the radiology place).

I have another appointment in April when I'll speak with him about the MRI, and also receive Botox injections. He's also referring me to see an neurologist.

Anyway, in the mean time, I have a copy of my MRI report from the radiologist, which reads in the conclusion section: "Abnormal hyperintense signal predominantly within the periventricular white matter as well as within the left centrum semiovale. Some of lesions have a perpendicular configuration relative to the lateral ventricles. Findings may represent sequelae of demyelinating disease and further evaluation with gadolinium-enhanced imaging is suggested. At that time, saggittal T2 FLAIR imaging should be considered." Unfortunately, my insurance wouldn't cover the MRI with contrast.

I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with having both Chronic Migraine and MS, or possibly of receiving a diagnosis of Migraine before a diagnosis of MS.

Moreover, I know that migraines can sometimes cause lesions, so is there a way for me to tell from the report if the locations of mine are more indicative of migraine versus MS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
maymiecat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Erika (02-09-2014), SallyC (02-09-2014)