View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 06:21 PM
anon6715

anon6715

Hi Tullis and welcome, though of course I'm sorry you have to be here.

Following the wrist surgery which was my precipitating event, my hand was extremely swollen and I could barely move my fingers at all. I know that sounds like an exaggeration but they really moved just a tiny bit that was barely discernible. I started physio straight away but there wasn't much we could do. If I remember correctly, it was mostly the physiotherapist gently massaging and moving my fingers (I say gently but it didn't feel so gentle). Once the swelling came down a bit, I started wearing a compression glove and as the swelling reduced further I moved to smaller gloves.

The swelling is much, much better now. My hand is still a bit swollen but I think that other people can really only see the swelling in my wrist. I can't say how much the compression glove helped because I was doing physiotherapy too.

One thing that is great about the compression glove is that the seams are on the outside. I am able to wear the glove without any discomfort. I still wear it under normal gloves because I wouldn't be able to tolerate a normal glove touching my skin.

I had a stellate ganglion block but got no relief from it. I also had a cortisone injection in my shoulder. It helped the swelling and I had an extremely dramatic, though very short-lived, increase in range of motion in my hand.

I still can't really make a fist but I'm almost there. I also work on a computer all day. My employer has made and continues to make any adjustments we can think of to make things easier for me. I am certainly slower than I was before CRPS but so far my employer has been very understanding.

Hang in there. I know it is a lot to try and wrap your head around. I don't think I've quite done that yet and my CRPS started in December 2012.

Kim
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote