Thread: EMG Test
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Heather,

It is pretty common for autoimmune diseases to get better with pregnancy. Your immune system is naturally suppressed when you're pregnant, so it won't attack the baby. It makes a huge difference for some people, but not for others--I don't know why.

There's a couple of things you should be aware of. I don't mean to be discouraging--MG is very unpredictable, so I'm not saying these things will happen to you! But it would be good to be prepared. First, sometimes symptoms come back after childbirth, and for similar reasons: the immune system goes into full swing after you have a baby, to prevent infection. Again, this doesn't happen to everyone! Second, sometimes babies are born with their mother's antibodies. Not always--just sometimes. If this happens, the baby could be weak for a few weeks after birth. But the baby will not be making his own MG antibodies, so he would get better on his own, when the mother's antibodies die off. It's just something to be aware of.

Please check these things with your doctor. It's what I believe I've read, but who knows what details I have wrong. Here's hoping this pregnancy is the beginning of a very long-term remission. Congratulations!

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
pingpongman (02-11-2014), southblues (02-11-2014)