View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Does this sound like TOS?

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone could shed some light on multiple RSI issues I've been experiencing for 2 years now.

So 2 years ago I was working in a records department and after 8 months of 8 hours a day x 5 days a week of repetitively lifting heavy boxes and sorting through folders, I developed pain in my thumbs & forefingers (the "pincer grip") that was quickly diagnosed as DeQuervain's tendonitis from overuse and was told to rest my hands for a fortnight.

Unfortunately rest did nothing, and the pain, as well as spreading to both wrists, forearms, upper arms & shoulders which were ridiculously tender, increased and changed from simply being sore to throbbing, burning and various degrees of tingling/nerve pains in my hands and fingers. I was then diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome & tendonitis of my arms, given splints to wear and referred to a physiotherapist.

The physiotherapist was both clueless and useless, and after several months of severe pain and disability, my condition had improved enough for me to stop wearing splints (which caused fluid build up in my thumbs and temporary atrophy due to lack of use = more pain!) Anyway, since I hadn't really received any significant treatment, I was still experiencing all of the above daily, which although got ever so slightly better when I didn't use my arms at all, as soon as I tried to do the things I used to (work, cook, clean, exercise, etc) it all came back.

After nearly a year, and multiple useless diagnoses (including fibromyalgia *rolls eyes*) I discovered myotherapy & trigger points, and once I began this treatment (both by a myotherapist & self-treatment), both my pain and tingling improved immensely.

2 years later, I have recovered most of my strength and am generally pain-free unless I overdo it (mainly heavy or repetitive lifting, or sitting at the computer too long). However, I still experience varying degrees of tingling or other paresthesia in my hands, and significant weakness/pain in my wrists (for example, if I bend my wrist back it often - but not always - feels sprained). This is almost daily.

I have identified that a lot of the tingling originates from my scalenes, and have noticed that when the tingling/pain in my hands & fingers gets really bad, I generally have very sore/stiff/tense shoulders and often develop a tension headache. And I'm not sure whether this is relevant/normal or not, but if I have my arms raised in any way for a short period of time, my hands go tingly or numb, and I can't feel my pulse in my wrist.

I've spoken to my GP about the possibility of TOS, but he was an idiot and didn't even know what I was talking about, so I'm hoping that someone with some first hand experience with the condition could help me out.

I've been dealing with this for such a long time now, and have received so many diagnoses by so many different doctors that I just feel completely lost.

Any response is greatly appreciated.
melina89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote