Thread: EMG Test
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Heather

I know you must be scared right now and all the uncertainty and unpredictability of this illness are one of the hardest things...but that must be even worse when you are pregnant! I know you must be worried about how you and the baby will be after birth and I know that its scary especially as no one can tell you what is going to to happen....there are lots of ifs, buts and maybes with this illness and unfortunately only time will tell as to what your experience will be and I know that doesn't help one little bit!!!

This is a leaflet about MG and pregnancy which has some really good information and advice -

http://www.myasthenia.org/LinkClick....lk%3D&tabid=84

Also, I myself have been through pregnancy twice but thankfully I was blissfully unaware of my diagnosis at the time!! I started with generalised symptoms which lasted for 18 months - during that time I was unable to get a diagnosis due to being seronegative but thankfully my symtoms became milder and more intermittent. I then fell pregnant and whilst I still experienced mild intermittent symptoms I (like you) felt 100 times better than I had in a long while!! I had a long birth where my body tired and didn't progress as it should and my one piece of advice would be to push for a c-section if you have not got one already - my daughter got stuck and we had a few complications that now seem consistent with weak/tired muscles. I then fell pregnant for the second time when my daughter was just 5 months old (unplanned!) and from then on I had no symptoms - I felt great during pregnancy, I did start having contractions at 30weeks and for the next 10weeks but I made it to term and had a very quick labour that time thankfully!! I think that could have been due to the MG retreating after to pregnancies so close together!! Both of my babies were fine, no signs of MG (but I am seronegative?) and from there on I was symptom free for 3 and a half years before it began to creep up on me and really flared up again

I would really like another baby but I am struggling with this illness at the moment and I am not strong enough...I am also not sure if I would have the same positive experience a third time around!! But if I can stabalise my condition before needing the nasty immunosupressants I would definitely do it again but with 2 conditions - firstly, as much as the idea scares me I would push for a c-section, and secondly I would want assurances that the staff monitored me closely during pregnancy and were also well equipped and knew what to look for in the baby when he/she was born.

I really hope that you have a wonderful pregnancy and are able to actually enjoy it (I know it must be hard with all of this running through your head!) and I will be hoping that you have an easy birth (preferably a c-section!) and as long a remission as this pregnancy can give you!

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Eve.x
Unsure81 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Panorama (02-12-2014), Stellatum (02-13-2014)