Thread: swedds
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anagirl View Post
Interesting issue in the range of cost of the DaT Scan. Mine was covered by my insurance, it was performed at El Camino hospital in Mountain View (not far from Stanford) The cost was $11,000.
Maybe it's a California thing, but you can just Google DaTscan costs and will see multiple sites discussing prices anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000. I know for a fact that GE charged the radiologist I went to $1,500 for the DaTscan because I had to guarantee their cost and was given the invoice. Everyone should keep in mind that DaTscan is a drug (ioflupane I-123) manufactured by GE. It's not a procedure, even though we tend to refer to the procedure as "a DaTscan". The drug is basically just a contrast agent.The procedure is a standard SPECT scan. So, if you are paying $11,000 or more for this procedure, it's the radiologist ripping you off for a drug, scan and analysis that should cost less than half of that amount.

I think there was crazy pricing in 2011 and 2012 right after the drug was approved and it was difficult to find radiologists to do it. Today, it's more widely available. Come to the East coast and I can bring you to anyone of 4 radiologists where the costs will probably be less than $5,000.

Last edited by Tupelo3; 02-12-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote