Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Thankful for AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstown View Post
the term 'alcoholic' is not particularly useful, bizi, I agree. It doesn't mean much that anyone agrees on, the term addict is somewhat more specific but still has problems. The real thing, seems to me, is whether our drinking harms us, harms others, keeps us from personal growth and from achieving life goals. Does it make you feel the way you want to feel. Does it keep you from having trouble with other people. And so on. These, to me, are the real questions about alcohol and most other substances.

And re your comments on AA, I benefited a lot when I attended AA. You don't have to believe anything you don't want to, all you have to do is say "I have a desire to stop drinking." You don't even have to say or believe that you are an alcoholic. And, like anywhere else, there are a lot of nutjobs at AA, also. It's a mixed bag, but generally, I met great people who were fun to be with and they shared the same goals I did in sobriety.

My daughter has benifited greatly from AA. Also, I know that I myself run risk of being an addictive personality. My daughter has and always will be "in recovery".

She attends regularly AA Meetings. She says even tho it may seem the same old same old; you need to be constantly reminded. It has been about 17 yrs. for her; but knows she needs to attend meetings regularly for the rest of her life or the old way of thinking will return. She tells me; it is your way of thinking that has to be changed. It is ongoing.

Thankful for AA,

Gerry
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (02-13-2014), PamelaJune (06-10-2014)